Monday, December 11

Teach Me, pt. 2

Contentment
...contentment is....focusing on the fact that all we do have, we have by the grace of God. We do not deserve anything we have, materially or spiritually. It is all by His grace.
Jerry Bridges, Transforming Grace p. 199
Following Teach Me, pt. 1, contentment goes along with gratitude.
Gratitude is a handmaiden of contentment. An ever-growing attitude of gratitude will certainly make us more content since we will be focusing more on what we do have...than on what we do not have.
Jerry Bridges, Transforming Grace p. 199
When a proper view of gratitude is obtained, contentment is based out of realizing that I don't deserve what I have. If I am discontent, I am thinking that I am not getting what I deserve. Therefore, desiring things that I do not have now as though I should have them now is a perversion of appropriating God's grace in that, God is gracious to give me more than I deserve. If I am grateful for grace, I am content in the sufficiency of it and not looking for satisfaction in other areas or possessions. So by looking to other things out of discontentment, I am not only saying that Christ is not all satisfying but also saying that I am not grateful for God being so gracious. Obviously, having things I do not have now (i.e., a spouse) is gracious of God, but taking the mindset as though I must have them now displays the same ungratefulness of a spoiled child and leaves me discontent.
But godliness with contentment is great gain.
1 Timothy 6:6 (NIV)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home